Immigration to Canada

Photo of a female nurse with Canadian city in background

Canada is a preferred destination for hundreds of foreign nurses and allied health professionals every year!

A Work Permit is required for foreign nurses or allied health professionals to work in Canada. Please click here for a free Assessment Form to see if you are eligible.

There are two options available for foreign workers to come to Canada to work:
  • Temporary Work Permits
  • Landed Immigrant / Permanent Resident


Temporary Work Permits

In order to work in Canada, foreign workers must have a valid work permit. The following steps must be followed before a work permit can be applied for by a foreign worker:
  • A job offer from an employer must be issued.
  • Human Resources and Skills Development Canada (HRSDC) must provide a labour market opinion (LMO) or "confirmation" of your job offer.
  • After HRSDC confirms that a foreign national may fill the job, you apply to Citizenship & Immigration Canada for a work permit. This confirmation does not guarantee your entry into Canada. You must meet all immigration requirements. In some cases, a medical examination may be required.
There are specific conditions placed on a work permit. These may include things like the type of employment and employer, and/or the location and length you are allowed to work. Work permits can be renewed through the federal government's processing centre in Vegreville, Alberta. Renewal of a work permit will require a new LMO from HRSDC.

When in Canada on a work permit, you can apply for permanent residency. Your application must be submitted outside the country (ie: at a visa office in a city across the Canada/US border, or at an office in your country of citizenship).

Landed Immigrant / Permanent Resident

If you want to come and live in Canada as a permanent resident without a work permit, but based on your work skills or experience, see if you qualify for the Skilled Worker Program. This process can take considerable time.

For more information on Canadian immigration, click on the links below: